******************************************

WELCOME TO GOTHIC DIVINE!

THIS BLOG WAS CREATED IN NOVEMBER 2009 WITH THE GOAL OF GATHERING ALL INFORMATION POSSIBLE ABOUT GOTHIC CULTURE.

IT'S NOT A PROPER MAGAZINE SO DON'T TAKE US TOO SERIOUSLY.. :)

SO FAR MORE THAN 300 POSTS ABOUT MUSIC, FASHION, ART, MOVIES AND CURIOSITIES HAVE BEEN WRITTEN!

SUPPORT GOTHIC DIVINE BY COMMENTING THE POSTS, ANSWERING THE POLLS AND SUGGESTING OR SENDING US LINKS OF INTERESTING GOTH-RELATED TOPICS!


GOTHIC DIVINE... YOUR GOTH MAGAZINE!

NEW: Are you a goth artist, an illustrator, a musician, a band, a writer, a model or a photographer? Want to make yourself known among goth community online? To be featured or obtain a free interview in Gothic Divine Magazine it's easy: leave a comment in the guestbook with your name,your job or hobby (model, photographer etc.), your email address where we can contact you and a link to your website.
Incomplete "applications" won't be taken taken in consideration.

RECRUITING NEW COLLABORATORS FOR THIS BLOG!! Click on link below for more information

Followers

08 September 2011

Halloween and Goths


So the summer is ending, only a few weeks left, we are going "from the headstones of summer to the frozen winterlands" (see Siouxsie and The Banshees' song "Cannons") and we are ready for the Fall aka Autumn.

Autumn is the season of the decay, everything starts to die, the night arrives earlier and there's that ghostly fog and those poetical rainy days. The sun is sweet on the skin and doesn't burn you anymore..

And it's also the season when people remember the dead. Halloween is knocking on doors. In countries where this festivity is traditional, shops are already full-filled with Halloween stuff. In the USA there's probably pumpkins, spiderwebs, and skeletons everywhere already. Last time I travelled to the US was in October, and everything looked like in the picture here below:


Lovely, isn't it? :)

But what about Goths and Halloween?

As we all know a goth liking Halloween can both be one of those annoying stereotype and a thruth. People associate Halloween to death and witches and all scary things, and consequently connect the word Halloween to the word Goth.

I personally LOVE Halloween. It's true I love it and it's my favourite day of all the year. I probably like it even more than my birthday!! Like in The Nightmare Before Christmas (the Tim Burton movie which is also another reason why people connect us Goths to Halloween so much), I spend the whole year thinking about preparing the next Halloween! ahah!

It's the only day of the season when I don't get called a freak and can get my most gothy outfit on without people staring bad at me! But it's also the only day in which I lose my individuality. I have always complained about being the only goth in my town, but at the same time I was happy about this uniqueness so on Halloween I get this feeling of not being that special anymore.

So it's both my favourite day of the year and both the one I like the less.
 Once a goth friend of mine told me a trick not to lose individuality on Halloween. "If you still want to be different on Halloween, dress the most normal you can and you'll surelly get looked at as much as you do now!" :P

I usually go to an amusement park on Halloween with a few friends of mine, all dressed up, and everytime we would see someone not dressed up we would be like "hey, it's halloween you freak!" xD Funny how the situation get reversed on that day. The freaks not following the fashion are the "normal" people, not us Goths anymore.

I will write soon other articles on Halloween like " How to spot the real goths on Halloween night" or something like this so keep in touch!

PS. Sorry for the short and not very well written article but as I told you I'm currently working and have to write everything in a hurry right before going to sleep :P


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...