******************************************

WELCOME TO GOTHIC DIVINE!

THIS BLOG WAS CREATED IN NOVEMBER 2009 WITH THE GOAL OF GATHERING ALL INFORMATION POSSIBLE ABOUT GOTHIC CULTURE.

IT'S NOT A PROPER MAGAZINE SO DON'T TAKE US TOO SERIOUSLY.. :)

SO FAR MORE THAN 300 POSTS ABOUT MUSIC, FASHION, ART, MOVIES AND CURIOSITIES HAVE BEEN WRITTEN!

SUPPORT GOTHIC DIVINE BY COMMENTING THE POSTS, ANSWERING THE POLLS AND SUGGESTING OR SENDING US LINKS OF INTERESTING GOTH-RELATED TOPICS!


GOTHIC DIVINE... YOUR GOTH MAGAZINE!

NEW: Are you a goth artist, an illustrator, a musician, a band, a writer, a model or a photographer? Want to make yourself known among goth community online? To be featured or obtain a free interview in Gothic Divine Magazine it's easy: leave a comment in the guestbook with your name,your job or hobby (model, photographer etc.), your email address where we can contact you and a link to your website.
Incomplete "applications" won't be taken taken in consideration.

RECRUITING NEW COLLABORATORS FOR THIS BLOG!! Click on link below for more information

Followers

26 September 2011

Skinny Fat Goths

Are Goths to be fat or skinny? Truth is that despite the either very skinny or either fat goth models that we see, there's no body shape that is more goth than the other. Goth culture itself teaches that there are no true rules to be a Goth beside listening to Goth music.

Of course, people usually expect Goths to be skinny because we are often associated to the cadaveric, vampiric unhealthy look. But that doesn't absolutely mean you have to be it to be goth. I think that's just another stereotype. Also fat people can look unhealthy, cadaveric, and vampiric too so that doesn't makes much sense to me.

Yes, you might find some cadaveric, anorexic looking goth around. But again, do not make the one size fits all mistake. After all we are human beings and we all look different.

(See all the different body shapes?)

It's true that maybe being skinny is an advantage because you can fit in all those expensive clothes.
Some have being complaining about how hard it is to find goth clothes for the plus sizes because in fact in many gothic shops the max size is XXL and i must say that usually isn't a real XXL..but this happens with normal clothing too. I see that recently goth shops have started putting out an XXL+ section so I hope the more curvy ones can have the chance to wear all gothic clothes too. :) 

What's your opinion on this? Are you fat, skinny or average? Do you usually picture goths being skinny or fat?

I must say when I first started following goth culture i didn't even care about the body shape. I was too focused on the wonderful clothes and the make-up and the crazy hairdos to care about the body!
Everyone can looks good in gothic attire!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, skinny is associated with goths just because it's more macabre but I think that we shouldn't just focus on that. I'm average and most of the times I feel fat because I can't fit in some clothes that are supposed to be XXL.
Of course, being skinny is a + when you're goth but I think there're more important things when you're goth.

Anonymous said...

Very good post! I'm a little bit fat, I like to be fat rsrs' I'm with difficult to buy one corset for me, I was wishing a corset since I was 12 years old (I'm 18), but I'm afraid to buy and it get ugly on me because I am fat. :/

Tenebris In Lux said...

I like this post. We all have to remember that there ARE different shapes.

I know I'm pretty skinny, and I can be borderline underweight, too. And I'm short! Some people think I'm a heroin user due to my gaunt look at times (which I'm not).

And I think labeling, in general, is so confusing and misleading. I fit several size 1 clothing, but one dress I have that's a size 4 is snug on me .. go figure.

Maggie said...

Goths, like other people, come in all shapes and sizes - and the clothing manufacturers seem to finally get the hang of it. I'm neither fat nor skinny (flat-chested and bottom-heavy), but that doesn't stop me from wearing short skirts :)

*D said...

Sometimes I see plus size goth models, and I think they are simply adorable in their black corsets. I'm underweight, but really short. Almost all clothes are made for tall, slim girls with wide hips, thin waist and big boobs. I think the best thing you can do is learn to sew. (:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...